Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Going On A Bear Hunt



I was having dinner, scallops in a pepper creme sauce, on the mess deck when I hear my name piped over the 1MC to contact the bridge. It was the National Geographic producer telling me that a bear and her two cubs were spotted from the bridge of the cutter. I quietly informed the scientist and then beat feat my room to grab my 80-400 lens, that I almost left at home, and took the stairs two at time. I arrived at the bridge breathless and eager to see the bear. I must have snapped 50 pictures, but to see a polar bear in her natural element is a special thing. One of her cubs seemed incredibly curious, and kept straying from his mom to get closer to the big red boat breaking up his icy home. In the photo his mother is standing, as if to tell the boat not to get any closer to her wayward son.

1 comment: