Monday, September 21, 2009

Top of the World

Oakland to Seattle. Seattle to Anchorage. Anchorage to Fairbanks. Fairbanks to Barrow. Barrow to the Top of the World. Well I am here now. Today's travels were rather uneventful. It started at the front desk, when I went to check my bag in. Apparently my bag weighted more than the limit of 50 lbs., registering a hearty 67lbs on the old scale, but that was arbitrary because it was of absolutely of no consequence. My bag was checked in all the same. Aside from the plane rides taking a long time they were rather dull. That is until we took off for Barrow. When a Native Alaskan took a seat next me, and thrust her hand in my direction, introducing herself as Loo, could be Lue, can't say for sure which. Anyway, she gabbed and gabbed, and had the most unpleasant habit of spitting when she talked. She drank two beers and educated me on how she is not allowed to drink at her village, and I think the two beers went straight to her head. She started lecturing me on the importance of planning for survival, and being prepared for the worst. If it wasn't for the alcohol I would think that maybe a cultural way to think, and it very well maybe, but it came across as incoherent ramblings. I later saw her at the hotel front desk being asked to leave for being intoxicated.

As the plane neared Barrow I looked out the window and saw the way we were flying above the clouds. They lay below us as white puffs of cotton blanketing the ocean below. It was really beautiful. The plane eventually dipped into the clouds and the plane was consumed by gray, and when we broke from the dense fog the sea appeared. There it was the Arctic Ocean. Lovely, and various shades of blue. There was the muddied blue, that yielded to purple and lighter blues, and off in the distance the water was turquoise as it melded with the horizon. It was a site, and choppy as well. Loo informed me that there must have been an North wind, judging from the sea state.

When I got off the plane I was smacked by cold. An Air Force master stg. gave me a ride from the tiny airport to my hotel. I went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant in the Arctic Circle, and had Italian lasagna. It wasn't half bad and not to expensive considering the most expensive salad was over 26 dollars.

After a days of prep. and hours of weary travel, I finally made it. Watch out bears, I am coming to get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment